turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Leavenue

Why is my return still pending?

Why is my return still pending? I e-filed on 2/5/2021 and it is still Pending. I have never seen it take this long.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS is not accepting returns until tomorrow Feb. 12th.  Your return will stay at Pending until the IRS pulls your return.

View solution in original post

29 Replies

The IRS is not accepting returns until tomorrow Feb. 12th.  Your return will stay at Pending until the IRS pulls your return.

My return is still pending. I filed on February 9, 2021. The IRS started accepting returns on the Feb. 12th and I’m wondering how long does it take to be accepted. I know plenty of people who filed before me through TT and their returns were accepted yesterday, even people who filed the day of IRS accepting and they were accepted the same day. What’s the hold up?

I have the same concern.  I filed in early February.  Supposedly Turbo Tax kept our "place in line" yet my return still says it's pending while others who filed after me are accepted?  And there's no place to get an answer other than asking other Turbo Tax users?  Hmmm.

@lottidah wrote:

I have the same concern.  I filed in early February.  Supposedly Turbo Tax kept our "place in line" yet my return still says it's pending while others who filed after me are accepted?  And there's no place to get an answer other than asking other Turbo Tax users?  Hmmm.

TurboTax does not transmit the tax return to the IRS.  TurboTax keeps the e-filed tax return on its servers awaiting the IRS to pull the federal tax return.  The IRS is in the process of pulling millions and millions of tax returns from servers throughout the country.  It will take several days for the IRS to complete the process of pulling the tax returns after the official start date of 02/12/2021.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

"Pending" means your return is on its way and in the queue waiting for the government to accept or reject. IRS started accepting tax returns three days ago on the 12th.  They are trying to process and approve as quickly as they can.  To learn more, click here: Pending

If you e-filed your return before February 12, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@LinaJ2020 and @DoninGA Thank you for the responses.  I filed my taxes on 2/1.  I have still not received an acceptance or rejection as of 2/17.  Turbo Tax continues to tell me to check again in 48 hours.  Each time I wait 48 hours and check again, there are no changes.  In prior years, I would get an acceptance very quickly, so this is stressing me out with worry.  What do I do if I don't get an acceptance/rejection?  How long do I wait?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the IRS just began accepting returns February 12, 2021, it may take longer than the usual 24-48 hours, in some cases, for a individual's return to get accepted or rejected.  See this FAQ  regarding What does pending mean.

@Anonymous - thanks for repeating what was already said in this discussion.  I was really hoping for some additional information:

What do I do if I don't get an acceptance/rejection?  How long do I wait?!  Is two weeks the max?  Is two months?  Is two years?  How do I follow up on this?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Some returns will stay Pending for several days or even longer, especially with the IRS filing delay and backlog this tax season due to COVID closing the offices and leaving the IRS with very few employees working for the past year. The IRS has not stated how long returns can or will remain in pending status.

Please click IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue to learn more. 

@TerukoL Thank you.  I received a rejection about an hour after your response.  Seems there was a bug in the version of Turbo Tax that was causing a calculation problem.  I just refiled using the latest updates.  Crossing my fingers this time.  

luludanurse
Returning Member

I filed both IRS and State on 1/31/21.  On 2/12/21 my IRS filing was accepted.  Still states pending on State.  When will you send it over to the State?  Phone call to you all says you send in batches.  George, from your staff, could not give me an estimate.  Seems ridiculous to have to wait even longer than I already have.  Can you at least give me an idea of when your "batching" will occur.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The processing of state refunds varies from state to state. Your state may not have started to accept e-filed returns just yet. Please see Why is my state e-file still pending? for additional information.

@luludanurse

File with a different tax preparer you will be glad I just got accepted and I’m done with this trash here called TurboTax 

Stop lying 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies