turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my refund not processing?

I have never had a refund take this long. The IRS2GO app isn’t showing my status of my refund either, it just has information about earned income credit, which as far as I know, I don’t have. I filed Jan 10, it was accepted Jan 18  according to turbo tax- which I thought was strange because they didn’t even start processing until Jan 24. I have no idea when I’ll get my refund and it’s frustrating. I electronically filed and am getting my refund direct deposited. Last year it only took 5 days. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

I have the same issue. I filed on 6th,got accepted on 18th then it stopped and no other progress 

TKK68

I e-filed on Feb 1 and was rejected due to incorrect 2020 AGI used for ID purposes on 2021 return. I corrected this and resubmitted and got an accepted status on Feb 4 and Feb 5 but when I check the it's where's my refund tool, it says the info I entered doesn't match but it is the correct info. How do I actually know for certain that the irs has my corrected return at all or if it actually has been accepted. 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@TKK68  You will receive an email from TurboTax telling you that your return was accepted.  All that means is that the IRS has begun processing it.

@Dkyoder and @rawblud  

The IRS started this filing season further behind than they have ever been in history.  Dealing with the IRS this year is not the same as the IRS of past years.  

This is the national taxpayer advocate's report to Congress for this year.  It's got a lot of information in it but its biggest takeaways are that the IRS started 2021's filing season with 6 million 2020 returns, 2.3 million amended returns, 5 million quarterly returns and 5 million pieces of correspondence unprocessed.  That was how they started the year.

It's just getting more interesting from there.

Returns were unable to be accepted by the IRS until the 24th of January.  The IRS has said that this year any return that has no issues can be processed and a refund received within 21 days.  If you have any issues with child tax credit not matching what they say they sent you or stimulus payments or really anything at all then processing your return could take as long as six months.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Austin122

@RobertB4444  So you're saying when the IRS actually accepts your tax return, TurboTax will send out an email to you directly stating that? 
Cause mine has been processing for 21 days. 

Yes, at least that’s been the case for myself for the past 3 years. I also get a text. But you have to have notifications on. Usually they accepted the return 2 days after you file. But I found out on line 27a, even though I don’t have kids, I got the earned income tax credit, and there’s a law for anti fraud where they cannot send out those refunds before mid or late February. So even though mine has been accepted since Jan 18, I have to wait. 

No matter when you filed the return and it was accepted for processing no return started being processed until 1/24 this year and if you return had the CTC, ACTC, EIC or the stimulus credit on line 30 it will not start processing until 2/15 ... see the IRS information :    https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

How quickly will I get my refund?

We issue most refunds in less than 21 calendar days. However, it’s possible your tax return may require additional review and take longer. Where’s My Refund? has the most up to date information available about your refund.

It is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue refunds for some 2020 tax returns that require review including incorrect Recovery Rebate Credit amounts, or that used 2019 income to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC).

I’m counting on my refund for something important. Can I expect to receive it in 21 days?

Many different factors can affect the timing of your refund after we receive your return. Even though we issue most refunds in less than 21 days, it’s possible your refund may take longer. Also, remember to take into consideration the time it takes for your financial institution to post the refund to your account or for you to receive it by mail.

It's been longer than 21 days since the IRS received my return and I haven’t gotten my refund. Why?

Some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:

• Includes errors, such as incorrect Recovery Rebate Credit
  • Is incomplete
  • Needs further review in general
  • Is affected by identity theft or fraud
  • Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
  • Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation PDF, which could take up to 14 weeks to process

For the latest information on IRS refund processing during the COVID-19 pandemic, see the IRS Operations Status page.

We will contact you by mail when (or if) we need more information to process your return. If we’re still processing your return or correcting an error, neither Where’s My Refund? or our phone representatives will be able to provide you with your specific refund date. Please check Where’s My Refund? for updated information on your refund.

I claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) on my tax return. When can I expect my refund?

According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue EITC and ACTC refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects most EITC/Additional CTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards by  March 1, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return. However, some taxpayers may see their refunds a few days earlier. Check Where’s My Refund for your personalized refund date.

Where’s My Refund? on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go mobile app remains the best way to check the status of a refund. WMR on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go app will be updated with projected deposit dates for most early EITC/ACTC refund filers by February 19.

Will calling you help me get my refund any faster?

No. unless Where’s My Refund? directs you to call us, our representatives will not be able to provide any additional information.

If Where’s My Refund? says that we’re still processing your return, our representatives won’t be able to give you a specific refund date.

What information does Where’s My Refund? have?

Usually information on the most recent tax year refund we have on file for you.

Can I use Where’s My Refund? to check the status of a refund on a prior year return.

Where’s My Refund? will display the status of your most recently filed tax return within the past two tax years.

When can I start checking Where’s My Refund? for my refund’s status?

Twenty-four hours after we’ve received your electronically filed tax return or 4 weeks after you’ve mailed a paper tax return.

Will Where’s My Refund? show me when I’ll receive my refund?

Where’s My Refund? will give you a personalized date after we process your return and approve your refund.

Will ordering a transcript help me find out when I’ll get my refund?

A tax transcript will not help you find out when you’ll get your refund. The information transcripts have about your account does not necessarily reflect the amount or timing of your refund. They are best used to validate past income and tax filing status for mortgage, student and small business loan applications, and to help with tax preparation.

Austin122

@Dkyoder  So essentially they have to do extensive research, and we should all know by like March 1st? 

Austin122

So you're stating if I was credited a stimulus credit, they wont process them until 2/15? 

On the IRS site it says we should have it by then, yes. 

I filed Jan. 7th, & got accepted Jan. 21st, it was all going good until this week when it posted a status on WMR page saying my return being delayed past the normal timeframe with tax code 152.  I claimed the CTC all 6 mos in 2021, I also believe I got the EITC as well. I have 2 dependents, & I'm just at the 21 day mark today. Are any other parents having a longer wait than normal? Because I usually receive my refunds before the 21 days.  Is anybody else getting the same message on WMR? It's so frustrating 😫 

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

If you claim the Additional Child Tax Credit, the law does not allow the IRS to process your return until Mid-February. The IRS is currently stating people with no issues on their return can expect to receive their refunds on or around March 1, depending on your bank.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same issue. I filed on the 24th was accepted by the 25th. I feel like I should have already had mine. But the where's my refund is not telling me anything. It is so frustrating 

First note that even if your return was accepted in an early test batch no return started processing until 1/24 and if you have EIC or ACTC those returns will not start processing until 2/15 ... 

Directly from the IRS  :    https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

How quickly will I get my refund?

We issue most refunds in less than 21 calendar days. However, it’s possible your tax return may require additional review and take longer. Where’s My Refund? has the most up to date information available about your refund.

It is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue refunds for some 2020 tax returns that require review including incorrect Recovery Rebate Credit amounts, or that used 2019 income to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC).

I’m counting on my refund for something important. Can I expect to receive it in 21 days?

Many different factors can affect the timing of your refund after we receive your return. Even though we issue most refunds in less than 21 days, it’s possible your refund may take longer. Also, remember to take into consideration the time it takes for your financial institution to post the refund to your account or for you to receive it by mail.

It's been longer than 21 days since the IRS received my return and I haven’t gotten my refund. Why?

Some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:

• Includes errors, such as incorrect Recovery Rebate Credit
  • Is incomplete
  • Needs further review in general
  • Is affected by identity theft or fraud
  • Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
  • Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation PDF, which could take up to 14 weeks to process

For the latest information on IRS refund processing during the COVID-19 pandemic, see the IRS Operations Status page.

We will contact you by mail when (or if) we need more information to process your return. If we’re still processing your return or correcting an error, neither Where’s My Refund? or our phone representatives will be able to provide you with your specific refund date. Please check Where’s My Refund? for updated information on your refund.

I claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) on my tax return. When can I expect my refund?

According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue EITC and ACTC refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects most EITC/Additional CTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards by  March 1, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return. However, some taxpayers may see their refunds a few days earlier. Check Where’s My Refund for your personalized refund date.

Where’s My Refund? on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go mobile app remains the best way to check the status of a refund. WMR on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go app will be updated with projected deposit dates for most early EITC/ACTC refund filers by February 19.

Will calling you help me get my refund any faster?

No. unless Where’s My Refund? directs you to call us, our representatives will not be able to provide any additional information.

If Where’s My Refund? says that we’re still processing your return, our representatives won’t be able to give you a specific refund date.

What information does Where’s My Refund? have?

Usually information on the most recent tax year refund we have on file for you.

Can I use Where’s My Refund? to check the status of a refund on a prior year return.

Where’s My Refund? will display the status of your most recently filed tax return within the past two tax years.

When can I start checking Where’s My Refund? for my refund’s status?

Twenty-four hours after we’ve received your electronically filed tax return or 4 weeks after you’ve mailed a paper tax return.

Will Where’s My Refund? show me when I’ll receive my refund?

Where’s My Refund? will give you a personalized date after we process your return and approve your refund.

Will ordering a transcript help me find out when I’ll get my refund?

A tax transcript will not help you find out when you’ll get your refund. The information transcripts have about your account does not necessarily reflect the amount or timing of your refund. They are best used to validate past income and tax filing status for mortgage, student and small business loan applications, and to help with tax preparation.

I’m a nonresident alien. I don’t have to pay U.S. federal income tax. How do I claim a refund for federal taxes withheld on income from a U.S. source? When can I expect to receive my refund?

To claim a refund of federal taxes withheld on income from a U.S. source, a nonresident alien must report the appropriate income and withholding amounts on Form 1040-NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return PDF. You must include the documents substantiating any income and withholding amounts when you file your Form 1040NR. We need more than 21 days to process a 1040NR return. Please allow up to 6 months from the date you filed the 1040NR for your refund.

How will I know you’re processing my tax return?

Where’s My Refund? follows your tax return from receipt to completion. It will tell you when your return is in received status and if your refund is in approved or sent status.

What is happening when Where’s My Refund? shows my tax return status as received?

We have your tax return and are processing it.

What is happening when Where’s My Refund? shows my refund’s status as approved?

We’ve approved your refund. We are preparing to send your refund to your bank or directly to you in the mail. This status will tell you when we will send the refund to your bank (if you selected the direct deposit option). Please wait 5 days after we’ve sent the refund to check with your bank about your refund, since banks vary in how and when they credit funds. (It could take several weeks before you receive a mailed refund check.)

How long will it take for my status to change from return received to refund approved?

Sometimes a few days, but it could take longer.

Does Where’s My Refund? always display my refund status showing the different stages of return received, refund approved and refund sent?

No, not always. Sometimes, when we are still reviewing your return, instead, it will display instructions or an explanation of what we are doing.

Does Where’s My Refund? update often?

Once per day, usually at night. There’s no need to check more often.

It’s longer than 21 days because the PATH ACT holds tax returns claiming certain credits until Feb 15th. You will get it soon

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies