Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do i still owe?

I paid in full the amount I owed on my federal return. I have my receipt and charge on my card but it's still saying that I owe $422 more. I don't understand why? Do I need to contact the IRS or is this a problem with turbo tax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why do i still owe?

What is saying you owe $422 more?

If you are looking at the TurboTax web page that will show the Net between taxes owed and a tax refund from a federal and state tax return.

For a federal return with taxes owed it will show the amount owed even if already paid.

TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS or a State concerning the status of a tax return after the tax return has been filed and accepted.

Why do i still owe?

Yeah, when I open my turbo tax app the first this I see is Total 2021 Taxes Due $422. It's just weird because I paid/owed $745 and on my state return I am getting back $323. The difference between those totals is $422. I guess that's just a coincidence? I already paid the $745 so why do I owe more? I guess that's what I don't understand. 

Why do i still owe?

@jkb3514 wrote:

Yeah, when I open my turbo tax app the first this I see is Total 2021 Taxes Due $422. It's just weird because I paid/owed $745 and on my state return I am getting back $323. The difference between those totals is $422. I guess that's just a coincidence? I already paid the $745 so why do I owe more? I guess that's what I don't understand. 

You do not owe more.  As stated, what is shown is the Net between the refund and the taxes owed.  It is only an arithmetic calculation to show the difference between the the $745 owed and the $323 refund and does not in any way mean you have additional taxes owed.

Why do i still owe?

Ohh ok! I feel dumb. Thank you so much for helping me understand that! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies