Solved: Why do I have to verify my identity if the irs accepted my return

Why do I have to verify my identity if the irs accepted my return

The IRS often examines returns when certain indicators pop up to be sure it's really you filing the return and not tax fraud or ID theft.

"Accepted" is merely referring to an efile status.  It means your efiled return was formatted correctly with the basic requirements to meet the IRS specifications so that they could agree to start processing.   During processing if something came up, they might ask you to verify ID.

I assume you received a letter from the IRS.  What is the CP or LTR number in the right corner, such as a 5071C, 4883C, or something else?