Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I see the tax refunds change as I go? Should I find other tax software now?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Why can't I see the tax refunds change as I go? Should I find other tax software now?

Yeah, you can still get it to show up....annoyingly, you have to take some steps to get it to show.

First get into your tax file somewhere....then look for the Federal "Review" on the left side and go thru that a few steps  (ignoring errors since you aren't done in the main area)

Also, make sure the "Race Mode" is not selected at the top  (move the slider to the rt).

Then navigate back to your Federal Wages & Income section and start thru it again.

Then the refund meter should show up.

(...but who knows this late in the year....they keep changing the "Online" software display)

(Picture from an entirely phony test file)

RefundMeter.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Do you see a refund amount, but it doesn't change, or do you not see an amount at all?

If you don't see a refund amount at all, see the reply from SteamTrain above.

If you see a refund amount, but the amount doesn't change, it's because the entries you are making do not affect your refund. There are many situations where that can happen. The refund amount is the end result of a very complex series of calculations. Here are two examples of situations where entries will not change your refund.

1. You are entering itemized deductions, but your total itemized deductions are less than your standard deduction. The refund amount won't change unless you enter enough itemized deductions to exceed the standard deduction.
  2. You are already getting a full refund of all the tax that was withheld. Entering additional deductions or nonrefundable credits will not change your refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies