Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chrismtrezza
Returning Member

Why am i owing money when i go to amend my taxes? I have not received the inital amount that was supposed to be there and the state has already corrected the amount.

the state has already corrected my refund and has given me the correct amount so i do not understand why it is trying to make me pay or should i not even file my state amended?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Why am i owing money when i go to amend my taxes? I have not received the inital amount that was supposed to be there and the state has already corrected the amount.

If the state adjusted your return for you then you probably do not need to amend.  Did they ask you to amend?  

chrismtrezza
Returning Member

no they did not they sent me a letter in the mail saying why they adjusted the amount of my refund too

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

So if the state already adjusted your refund, why are you amending the state tax return? You file an amended return to correct an error in the original tax return. If the state already corrected the error, you do not file an amended return. Is there another error in the tax return besides what the state corrected?

chrismtrezza
Returning Member

so the problem was i inputted the incorrect years w-2(honest mistake) and did not realize till the state had corrected it for me but i have been waiting for the irs to do the same with my federal but has not happened but i did receive a letter asking for more documentation supporting my claim but im still waiting on their response so in the meantime i was gonna start the amending process but thats when it said i was going to owe money for federal but still have not recieved it in the first place.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Don't do anything until the IRS finishes processing your tax return and you get a response from them. You cannot amend your federal tax return until you know what the IRS does with it. If you file an amended return now it will cause confusion and more delay. Just wait until you hear from the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies