turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband just became a us resident ..they told us when he became legal they would refund us our taxes for the past 3 years is that possible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband just became a us resident ..they told us when he became legal they would refund us our taxes for the past 3 years is that possible?

No.

There are certain tax benefits that a person is eligible for when they are a citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) that are more generous than they are eligible for when they are a non-resident alien or resident alien.  In the past it was possible to amend a return to retroactively claim those benefits.

However, due to a law passed a couple of years ago, that is no longer allowed.  He only qualifies as a citizen on any tax return that is filed after the awarding of citizenship, and only if the return is "timely filed."  That means that if you have not filed a 2016 tax return yet and you have an approved extension, you could file the 2016 return with him as a citizen. But you can't amend earlier years.  And if you already filed your 2016 return, you can't amend it either.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Who are "they?"

My accountant that filled our previous taxes. But he no longer does taxes ..

No.

There are certain tax benefits that a person is eligible for when they are a citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) that are more generous than they are eligible for when they are a non-resident alien or resident alien.  In the past it was possible to amend a return to retroactively claim those benefits.

However, due to a law passed a couple of years ago, that is no longer allowed.  He only qualifies as a citizen on any tax return that is filed after the awarding of citizenship, and only if the return is "timely filed."  That means that if you have not filed a 2016 tax return yet and you have an approved extension, you could file the 2016 return with him as a citizen. But you can't amend earlier years.  And if you already filed your 2016 return, you can't amend it either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies