Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TODAY!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to mail 1040-v with check living in New York

I filed my 2023 amended tax return online 1040-x and was instructed by turbo tax to mail the 1040-v form with check to IRS address in Kansas City, MO. Check for payment owed on federal tax return has not yet processed and I am seeing online that New York residents (where I am) need to send 1040-v with checks to IRS address in Louisville, KY. Which is the correct address for NY residents? Will my check still be processed by IRS at Kansas City address?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

The IRS address Kansas City, MO 64999-0052 is for form 1040X  if you are mailing it in. However, for 1040-v the address is:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 931000
Louisville, KY 40293-1000

irs.gov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the response, but then why did turbo tax tell me to send the 1040v form with payment to Kansas City? I already filed the 1040x electronically. Will my payment sent to Kansas City still be processed?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

I don't what TurboTax told you about where to mail it, but my belief is that your check will be cashed eventually. The IRS knows that the check with your Social Security number (I hope you put it on your check) needs to go in your account, so even if they have to ship the 1040-V and the check to another office, I have to believe it will be deposited in your tax account eventually.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you pay the amount on the 1040V or the tax due on the 1040X Amended return?  You might have a problem.  

If you have a tax due, do not send the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X line 20.

My 1040x line 20, and the 1040v amount are the same. Included my full ssn on the check. I actually got a IRS representative on the phone, confirmed that Kansas City office should be able to process it. I appreciate everyone’s help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies