Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

imh5023
Returning Member

Where is my 202 IRS amended tax return

I filed my taxes early March before the reform bill was passed. IRS and Turbotax amended my federal and state. I received my federal refund in the mail but not my state. Also, TurboTax is only showing my previous filed 2020 but not the updated. Where is it? It popped up before when I though about amending myself (never processed) so where is it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

TurboTax nor the IRS can amend your tax return, only you can amend the tax return.

The tax return will not be changed by TurboTax if you filed the return before the exclusion was incorporated into the TurboTax program.

The IRS is sending the tax refunds for the unemployment compensation exclusion in batches which started in May and will continue for the next several months.

Go to these IRS websites for information -

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-readies-nearly-4-million-refunds-for-unemployment-compensation-over...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-unemployment-compensation-exclusion-faqs

View solution in original post

imh5023
Returning Member

That does not make sense or follow what I have been told. The IRS and TurboTax said not to file an amendment and that they would make the adjustments. I was able to pull up a copy of the adjustment on TurboTax but now I cannot. There must be a way to pull it up and show the adjustment. 

imh5023
Returning Member

I was also told several times on this forum to pay what I "owed" to state and federal because it was to be adjusted. 

@imh5023 wrote:

That does not make sense or follow what I have been told. The IRS and TurboTax said not to file an amendment and that they would make the adjustments. I was able to pull up a copy of the adjustment on TurboTax but now I cannot. There must be a way to pull it up and show the adjustment. 

What you were told is correct.  You do not need to file an amended tax return for the unemployment compensation exclusion.  The IRS will calculate the tax refund based on the exclusion and send you refund if you are eligible.

TurboTax initially changed the filed tax return to show the exclusion then backed that off since the original 2020 AGI must be used to e-file the 2021 tax return next year.

imh5023
Returning Member

But now my state is saying the adjustment is incorrect and they are trying to say I owe them when the adjustment shows DC owes me. I need to show them the breakdown so I can receive payment and not be in trouble.

@imh5023 wrote:

But now my state is saying the adjustment is incorrect and they are trying to say I owe them when the adjustment shows DC owes me. I need to show them the breakdown so I can receive payment and not be in trouble.

You will need to amend the DC tax return.

DC recommends amending your return to claim the $10,200 unemployment adjustment. Sign in to TurboTax to file an amended Form D-40. See the DC Office of Tax and Revenue notice for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies