Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do you file the middle class tax refund?

where do i file the california middle class tax refund with the 1099-misc?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

76 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

The payment is taxable by Federal but not by California. 

To report on Federal >Income >choose what I want to work on >Other common income >1099-misc>other income. Report the Middle Class Refund and follow the prompts. 

On California section you will see HERE’s INCOME THAT CALIFORNIA HANDLES DIFFERENTLY. Scroll down to Miscellaneous and scroll down to MIDDLE CLASS TAX REFUND and follow the prompts to exclude the income from CA. 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

The Middle-Class Tax Refund (MCTR) is a one-time payment to provide relief to Californians. It is not taxable on your California State return, but it may be required be reported on your Federal Income Tax Return.

The IRS has not issued final guidance on the reporting the Middle-Class Refund on your Federal Income Tax Return.  Click on this link for more information: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-enter-state-stimulus-payment-turbotax

It sounds like you may have received Form 1099-Misc for this payment.

If the IRS determines that your stimulus payment is taxable on your Federal Tax Return, click on the following link for information on entering a Form 1099-Misc in Turbo Tax: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-enter-1099-misc

@Bsch477 explains how you enter this tax refund on your California State Return. 

You will not be taxed on this income for your California State Return purposes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, worked perfectly. Now if California would just finalize their forms so I could file.

It appears to enter this amount you are forced from "free" filing to a "deluxe filing"; even though on the 1099-Misc instructions for box 3 it clearly states to list as "other income" line of schedule 1 Form 1040.    Last year I used the free edition too and it provided my taxes on the Form 1040.  Is upgrading the only option? 

Harry1040
Returning Member

Where is this? What form? "HERE’s INCOME THAT CALIFORNIA HANDLES DIFFERENTLY."

You will see it when you enter the state program. 

But what about federal?  can you use the free edition for federal and still report under “other income”?    

Try it and see if you have to upgrade. 

Hello, I did and based on my experience it was forcing upgrade.  

I am asking IF anybody was able to find a way to do it with free version on Federal since per #3 on the back says you can use the Form 1040, which IS the free version, but TurboTax wants to charge.    Thanks anyway.  

What about if you didn't receive it? How do you report that? 

There’s nothing to report if you didn’t receive it. 

If you believe you should have received it by now and haven't, call 1-800-240-0223 to find out why and/or get a replacement debit card.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Free version will not support this entry of the 1099-MISC. See that 1099-MISC is not supported where tax forms are listed here.

Report the California Middle Class Tax Refund as follow:

• Select Federal from the left side menu.
  • Click on Wages & Income.
  • Scroll down to Other Common Income.  Click Show more.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of 1099-Misc.
  • Report as box 3 Other income

In the California tax return, you will see Here's Income That California Handles Differently.  Scroll down to Miscellaneous, then to Middle Class Tax Refund.  Follow the prompts to exclude the income from the California tax return.

View the entries at Tax Tools / Print Center / Print, save or preview this year's return / Include government and TurboTax worksheets.

@coloradoripoll 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My CA middle class tax refund was under $600 and per State of CA website they will not be issuing a 1099.  Where and how should I input this income?  The 1099-MISC screen is asking for the Payer's Federal ID# which I don't have since I don't have the 1099.  Under "Payer" should I just put "State of CA"?

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies