turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to clear an unsent amended return in TurboTax online and create a new amendmended return.

I created a hypothetical amended return where I deleted a lot of business deductions to see the affect on what we owed. We decided not to go that route so I canceled the amendment. But now we've actually received a corrected 1099-MISC, so I do need to file an amendmended return, but when I go in to create that, the hypothetical changes are automatically there (and it would take a lot of time to put all those deductions back in manually -- basically like doing my taxes all over again.) I want to clear those hypothetical changes and create a fresh amendment, but don't know how.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I need to clear an unsent amended return in TurboTax online and create a new amendmended return.

You'll need to undo the "hypothetical" amendment to return to your original return.

Please read this TurboTax FAQ on how to undo an amendment:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4170678

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I've already done that -- canceled the amended return -- but when I go to begin a new amendment all those previous changes are back. I'm looking for some way to create a fresh amendment. Canceling seems to stop the submission process, but it is saving those changes somewhere.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You may have made these changes after filing your return but before starting your "hypothetical" amendment. If you still see those changes, you would have to cancel (delete) these changes before starting your real amendment.

The previous changes only show up when I choose the Amend option. I think the problem could be that the changes, themselves, are deletions -- I deleted all of our business expenses. I'm looking for a way to bring them all back to the way they were when the original return was submitted but still be able to amend the 1099 we received. And also, thank you for taking the time to help me with this. It's much appreciated.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

When you cancel an amendment, you get back to the original return. If you do not, then there may steps you had taken that were not deleted when you cancelled the amendment. It seems that you have identified these changes. You should now delete these changes so as to "recreate" your original return.

So how do you delete a deletion?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

What do you call a deletion? If you delete something, it no longer appears on the return. So you normally do not see a deletion.

Sorry but after you undo an amended return you do have to take out the changes and manually put your return back to the way it was when you originally filed it.

If you deleted something you have to enter it again.

That FAQ for cancelling an Online amended return seems pretty short.  See the one for the Desktop program.  See step 6!
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2552833-how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-the-turbotax-...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies