DomStamegna

When to submit an amended return?

I submitted my taxes for 2020 yesterday.  After I did I noticed that I entered the wrong information for my Social Security income -  I entered the info from the wrong box.   The difference is about $600 less on my refund.  Should I submit an amended return after the IRS receives my first filing Or wait until they process. I am sure they will catch the error and adjust my refund but What is the best way to handle this kind of error? 

MayaD

When to submit an amended return?

Wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects your return.

If the IRS rejects your return, you can make the changes and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund. Then you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. 

1. In TurboTax, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. Select Show and then select Amend (change) return, and then Amend using TurboTax Online. (If you don't see Your tax returns & documents, select Tax Home on the left.)
  2. Select the reason you’re amending and follow the instructions.

MayaD

When to submit an amended return?

DomStamegna

When to submit an amended return?

Thanks,  that helps me!