Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When the stimulus checks came in I did not get mine. They sent it to an inactive bank account. How can I receive that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

When the stimulus checks came in I did not get mine. They sent it to an inactive bank account. How can I receive that?

Could you please clarify which stimulus checks you did not receive?( 1St, 2nd 3rd )

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The 2nd ($600) and the 3rd one in March (1,400).  In my last year tax return I put in that I did not receive it and they took $600. 

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

The process for the 3rd stimulus payment has changed.  You can report that you did not receive the payment and get the Recovery Rebate Credit, which is the same as the stimulus payment.  This credit is a refundable credit so even if you don't owe taxes you can receive this amount.  To claim the Recovery Rebate Credit please follow these steps:

1. Open your tax return in TurboTax Online.
  2. Search for Recovery Rebate Credit using the magnifying glass near the top of the screen on the right.
  3. Click the Jump to recovery rebate credit link.
  4. Answer the question regarding the payment you did not receive. (Enter $0)

I also received this notion when it came to last year's tax return. Is it possible to get the money that wasn’t fully repaid? I’m not sure if I did something and if I did I do NOT know where 

A6E1343D-D89A-44E2-8FC4-A3C8F0EB5A54.png

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

The only way you may be able to recover any amounts from the stimulus payments made in 2020 would be to amend your 2020 return making the dependent corrections listed in this notice. 

I don’t have any dependents that’s the thing. 

You need to have IRS put a trace on $600 check sent to inactive bank account. In their records you’ve already received it so that’s why the denied it. The $1400 stimulus should be filed on 2021 return . 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

When a deposit is made to the wrong account, it is returned to the IRS and a check should be reissued to you by regular mail.  If you did not receive that check then you should contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) for assistance.

1. You can click here to begin: TAS Qualifier Tool. or 
  2. Submit a request for assistance - Form 911 Request for TAS Assistance (instructions are included)
  3. Locate the local TAS Office for your area

This will get the process started for you.  It's not going to be a fast process because they are handling a large volume at this time. 

If you do not hear from TAS within one week of submitting Form 911, contact the Taxpayer Advocate office where you originally submitted your request. Incomplete information or requests submitted to a Taxpayer Advocate office outside of your geographical location may result in delays.

Per IRS FAQ: The IRS will issue a paper check for the amount of that deposit once it is received. You incorrectly enter an account or routing number that belongs to someone else and your designated financial institution accepts the deposit. You must work directly with the respective financial institution to recover your funds.

@959b26d0b54e

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies