Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When should I file an amended return? My e-file was just accepted.

Actually, this is a 2-part question.

I realized that I didn't report a state refund on my 2020 federal tax return that was just accepted by the IRS using electronic filing.  It was confusion on my part, but I accidentally found the 2020 1099-G.  (I thought that I didn't have a refund because I didn't receive a check which the state automatically applied to a prior balance.)  But I still needed to report it, which became obvious once the 1099-G surfaced - which happened the day after I submitted the e-file - of course.

So first, for a missing state refund 1099-G, will the IRS automatically recalculate the 1040 and adjust my refund?  Or will they process the return as-is (assuming everything else is fine)?  Or will they reject the return because their system noticed a missing 1099-G?  Even after adding the missing 1099-G, I still should have a refund.

Second, should I even attempt to submit an amended return NOW or should I wait until the IRS responds to my e-file submission?

Sincerely, can't believe it :^(

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the IRS has record of the 1099-G you didn't include, your return will likely be adjusted to reflect your mistake. If not, you can file an amendment after your submitted return has been processed by the IRS. See this FAQ on How to amend a return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the IRS has record of the 1099-G you didn't include, your return will likely be adjusted to reflect your mistake. If not, you can file an amendment after your submitted return has been processed by the IRS. See this FAQ on How to amend a return.

Got it.  Thanks @Anonymous 

did you itemize in 2019? Most people cannot.

If you did not itemize, you can toss that 1099-G  since entering it will have no effect on your return.

Yes, I did itemize in 2019.  Thanks @fanfare for the info.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies