Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I print tax returns there are black lines where info should be, tried 3 times all 3 look the same

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SherryM

When I print tax returns there are black lines where info should be, tried 3 times all 3 look the same

Here are some steps to try.

First, make sure you can print something from a different program.

If your printer is working:

• Save and print a PDF of your return. Here's how (This applies to a 2016 or prior year return that you have completed).
    • Be sure to note the location/folder where you save your PDF, for future reference or printing.
    • The PDF option allows for the easiest printing. You avoid any potential problems from your printer not communicating with the TurboTax program.
  • You can also print from TurboTax. If that doesn’t work, continue below.

If you’re not able to print:

• Select the version of TurboTax you are using below, and follow the instructions.

TurboTax Online

If you're using TurboTax Online on a computer, follow the instructions below.

(If you're using TurboTax Online on a mobile device/mobile web browser, here's what to do.)

First, open your return (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)

Many printing problems can be resolved by installing the latest version of Adobe Reader (it's free).

If that didn't help, proceed to the troubleshooting steps below.  

Troubleshooting Steps

Follow these steps in the order given:

1. See if you can print something from a different program.
  2. Make sure your printer's drivers and computer's operating system are up-to-date.
  3. Make sure the printer you're using is your default printer. 
  4. Remove all other devices (external or thumb drives, scanners, etc.) which can sometimes interfere with printers.
  5. Shut your computer and printer down for 15-30 seconds, and then turn them back on.
  6. If your printer is on a network, try a direct connection to a printer using a cable.
  7. Sign in with a different browser and/or try a different computer that has access to a printer.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SherryM

Here are some steps to try.

First, make sure you can print something from a different program.

If your printer is working:

• Save and print a PDF of your return. Here's how (This applies to a 2016 or prior year return that you have completed).
    • Be sure to note the location/folder where you save your PDF, for future reference or printing.
    • The PDF option allows for the easiest printing. You avoid any potential problems from your printer not communicating with the TurboTax program.
  • You can also print from TurboTax. If that doesn’t work, continue below.

If you’re not able to print:

• Select the version of TurboTax you are using below, and follow the instructions.

TurboTax Online

If you're using TurboTax Online on a computer, follow the instructions below.

(If you're using TurboTax Online on a mobile device/mobile web browser, here's what to do.)

First, open your return (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)

Many printing problems can be resolved by installing the latest version of Adobe Reader (it's free).

If that didn't help, proceed to the troubleshooting steps below.  

Troubleshooting Steps

Follow these steps in the order given:

1. See if you can print something from a different program.
  2. Make sure your printer's drivers and computer's operating system are up-to-date.
  3. Make sure the printer you're using is your default printer. 
  4. Remove all other devices (external or thumb drives, scanners, etc.) which can sometimes interfere with printers.
  5. Shut your computer and printer down for 15-30 seconds, and then turn them back on.
  6. If your printer is on a network, try a direct connection to a printer using a cable.
  7. Sign in with a different browser and/or try a different computer that has access to a printer.

mrmo
Level 2

When printing completed tax forms from Adobe Reader, click the print icon and when the print screen comes up, select "Advanced" next to the printer selected and then ensure that "Print as Image" is selected, click "OK" and return to the print screen and select print. Black lines will no longer appear on the output forms from the printer. This problem showed up when trying to print from PDF to an HP Officejet J4580 printer, but a post on the HP Support Community website mentioned another printer that had this problem printing TurboTax generated tax forms.

Thank you mrmo for this advice!!!

I was finishing my 2020 returns when I noticed the black bars across my forms covering necessary information.  At first I thought my printer had gone rogue on me, except that everything else I print is perfect.

NOBODY ELSE I found suggested "Print as Image."  You get the gold star!  Again, thank you...

Peace,

Erik

I've had this same issue in previous years with printing from TurboTax but I forgot the "Print As Image" solution.

I have two HP printers and it is NOT the printer driver. They both exhibit the same problem until "Print As Image" is selected.

I have also Updated Adobe Reader and it did NOT work as a solution. 

Thank you for the solution 'mrmo', and I hope TurboTax fixes it in the future. I for one, must put a reminder on my calendar for subsequent years until they fix their problem. I have wasted quite a bit of paper and ink over the years since I use TurboTax all the time. Great tax software, except for the printing problem.

I followed the directions and selected print as image but still have the dark black lines using my Samsung M2830DW printer.  This is unacceptable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies