Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ednab
Returning Member

What to do with1040 ES voucher if you pay online

I paid my 2022 Q1 estimate online directly to the IRS. There was no way to attach the 1040 ES voucher. Do I need to mail it in? Or just keep for my records. The IRS site only let me select "2022 estimated tax" as a reason for sending a payment, couldn't even specify the quarter.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

The Form 1040-ES is only used if you are paying the estimated taxes by mailing a check to the IRS.  So if you are using the IRS payment website to pay the 2022 estimated taxes the forms are not needed.

ednab
Returning Member

Thank you! Does TurboTax provide the vouchers it generates to the IRS, or does the IRS just not care/not want the vouchers if you pay online? (seems odd to me to just send a payment with no form/explanation!)

@ednab wrote:

Thank you! Does TurboTax provide the vouchers it generates to the IRS, or does the IRS just not care/not want the vouchers if you pay online? (seems odd to me to just send a payment with no form/explanation!)

The Forms 1040-ES are for your use only.  They are not reported to the IRS when you file your tax return.  You can use them or not, it is your choice.

the quarter you are paying is the current quarter.

In a few days, that will change from 1st to 2nd.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies