Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

markv1523

What to do if your refund was deposited into the wrong account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You will need to contact your bank first. If you incorrectly entered an account or routing number that belongs to someone else and your designated bank/financial institution accepts the deposit, then you must work directly with them to recover your funds.

NOTE: If funds aren't available or the bank refuses to return the funds, the IRS cannot compel the bank to do so. The case may then become a civil matter between you and the financial institution and/or the owner of the account into which the funds were deposited. 

If you have contacted your bank/financial institution and two weeks have passed with no results, you will need to file Form 3911Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund, to initiate a trace. This allows the IRS to contact the bank on your behalf to attempt recovery of your refund. Banks are allowed up to 90 days from the date of the initial trace input to respond to our request for information. You can also call the IRS tax refund hotline at 800-829-4477, Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.

MrsTJRhem

My stimulus check went into the wrong account. Why? I don't know

mandamaee

this happened to me to and idk what to do . did u get a answer for this ?

mandamaee

but what if you don't know the bank account number on statement the irs shows when checking on your payment .. and I don't have my tax card from lasy year I have a new one for this year I cant talk to a person to resolve this I cant report the card lost or stolen because I do not know the card number . im frustrated .

mandamaee

also I don't have a bank ive always done pre paid 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies