turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ron2024
Returning Member

What is my new basis for 1031 deprecaition under two different methonds?

1031 Like kind Exchange deprecaition If my old property 100,000 (land 10,000, improgement 90,000) , depreciation deducted 10,000 Sold it for 200,000, and purchased a new one for 300,0000 (land 10,000 + Improvement 290,000) What is my new basis for 1031 deprecaition under two different methonds?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

What is my new basis for 1031 deprecaition under two different methonds?

Continue the assets and depreciation as though there was no trade. Then with any extra cash that was paid for the replacement property (the property received in the exchange) you set up a new asset and begin depreciation in 2023 as residential rental property using 27.5 year recovery period (depreciation method) or 39 year recovery if it is nonresidential real property (not rental).

If you buy up in your exchange (your New Property cost more than you sold your Old for), the answer is easy – you treat the additional cash part as you would a new addition to an existing property. In other words, you treat the amount of the buy-up the same as you would the cost of a capital improvement. The date placed in service becomes the starting point for depreciation to begin on the buy up portion.

• Current Asset (now belongs to the property received in the exchange): $100,000 (building and land) -retains the same exact character, nothing changes including accumulated depreciation.
  • New Asset (the buy up): $200,000 (improvements - land is already in the asset from the original property.
    • Total = $300,000 

You can re-name the former property to the new name/location.  Keep all of your returns that relate to this 1031 like kind exchange until you no longer hold any property that is connected to a previous property.

Notes

Boot: Any property or money you might have received that is unlike property in the exchange would be immediately subject to capital gains tax. 

Qualified Intermediary: The identification must be in writing, signed by you and delivered to a person involved in the exchange like the seller of the replacement property or the qualified intermediary.  However, notice to your attorney, real estate agent, accountant or similar persons acting as your agent is not sufficient. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies