turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jkze2008

What if I may have made a mistake and submitted return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
NiaW

If you may have made a mistake but have already submitted your return, you will want to wait for a status of accepted or rejected from the IRS.

If rejected, you can then sign in to Turbo Tax and correct any wrong information before choosing to resubmit.

If accepted, you will need to amend (change) the return and mail it in to the IRS.

Here is how you would amend a return:

1. Sign in to your Turbo Tax account.
  2. In the '2016 Tax Year' section, you will choose the 'Amend (change) return' option.
  3. In the pop up window, choose 'Amend using Turbo Tax online'.
  4. Click 'Continue' on the 'We'll help you change (amend) your return' screen.
  5. Follow the on screen instructions to amend your return. NOTE: Don't worry if your refund amount changes to $0 at this time. The corrected amount will show at the end of the amending process.
  6. When you are done, Turbo Tax will provide information and instructions on how to print and mail in your amended return since amended returns cannot be e-filed.

You can track your amended returns using the IRS tracking tool at www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1 .

I'm not positive about making a mistake therefore can I have a turbo tax representative go over it with me, although the IRS accepted it I still did not get a date yet to say it will be sent to my bank account. It was accepted February 10, 2020. I do not know how it could be so late. Please help!

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

We cannot go over your personal information here on the forum.  However, you can obtain Turbo Tax Live for an additional review.  Please see the link below on how to obtain this service:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-get-turbotax-live/00/27305

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies