Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

snasar1

What if I forgot to check the "dependent" but someone else says that I depend on them on their taxes. Would that cause trouble?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

What if I forgot to check the "dependent" but someone else says that I depend on them on their taxes. Would that cause trouble?

If you CAN be claimed as someone else's dependent and you answer incorrectly on your own tax return and say you cannot be claimed-----yes, it can cause problems.  How big the problem is depends on who files first.

If the person who can claim you filed already, then your own e-file will be rejected and you will have to fix it and re-file your own tax return.

If you can be claimed as a dependent and you answer the question in My Info incorrectly, here is what happens if you e-file first:  Your Social Security number goes into the IRS system as having been used.  When your parents try to e-file, their e-file is rejected and they will find it impossible to e-file their own tax return.  Then they will have to print, sign and mail their return and wait for months for it to be processed.  You, meanwhile, will have to file an amended tax return on a special form called a 1040X, which also takes months for the IRS to process.  So make sure you know the correct answer to "Can anyone claim you as a dependent on their tax return?"

If you need to amend---

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

Go to MY INFO, click your name, and go to the question that asked if you can be claimed as someone else’s dependent.  The answer needs to be YES.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies