Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does tax topic 152 mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

It simply means that your e-filed return is being processed and that the government hasn't approved or rejected it yet.  Sometimes return status does not update for several days or even longer.

During this time, the government reviews your refund (processing). During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund. 

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.

It can take up to 21 calendar days after acceptance for the IRS to issue your refund, although most refunds go more quickly than that, while a small handful may take a bit longer.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Well I we as told my turbo tax it was accepted, so which is it. 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

For the most accurate and up to date information on your tax refund, please go by the IRS Where's My Refund? site.

The link below is directly from the IRS website:

Topic No. 152 Refund Information

A lot of times we see the Topic 152 status from the IRS, if a return contained EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit. If your return does contain either of these, even though you can submit your tax return now, the IRS usually begins issuing tax refunds on returns in late February.

Some 2019 federal refunds are delayed due to the PATH Act

I was very confused by reading different things. For me, I got the topic 152. Do I need to call IRS? Do I need to be proactive to do some kinds of clarifications for my tax return? Please advice simply. Thank you. 

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in the normal time frame: less than 21 days. However, incomplete or inaccurate tax returns may require further review and could take longer than the normal processing time.

IRS representatives can research the status of your return only if:

• It's been more than 21 days since you received your e-file acceptance notification,
  • It's been more than 6 weeks since you mailed your paper return, or
  • The Where's My Refund? tool directs you to contact us.  See link below for details:  

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152?vm=r

According to your explanation, as of today, I do not need to do anything including contacting IRS for my clarification of my identify?  

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you received any communications from the IRS requesting you to identify your identity? If not, then, No, you will hear directly from the IRS via mail if they require anything further. 

THE LAST 3 YEARS I HAVE GOTTEN 152 AND EVERY YEAR I HAVE HAD TO VERIFY MY IDENTITY BECAUSE I MOVED, YES MOVED, and no I never received anything from the it's because after 10 days of waiting I call every year (besides the first time it happened) and sure enough I have a tt152 popped up again so be pro active the first year it happened didnt understand what it was till 45 days into waiting so call and ask what will it hurt this is just my situation and if anybody else has gotten there taxes with a tt152 please let me know would love to find out for sure thx good luck to all waiting

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see answer posted above by JakailaLO

last 20 days, according to the IRS website, I got the topic 152. However, as of today, 2/15, IRS website has been changed and says, “In the process of the review” and removed code number-topic 152 same time. That indicates that they changed their mind? What is going on? It will be more than 21 days soon too. Please advice. 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Tax Topic 152 simply means that your e-filed return is being processed and that the government hasn't approved or rejected it yet. Sometimes return status does not update for several days or even longer. The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in the normal time frame: less than 21 days. However, it’s possible that some tax returns may require further review and could take longer.

Please click Topic No. 152 Refund Information to learn more. 

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152

Just repay from someone, but I don’t think that he/she red my message. He just pasted from the same message from somewhere.

Anyway, my question was/is, according to the IRS website, topic 152 has been removed and says, “process” again. I don’t understand why the topic 152 has been removed from the website (Refund status) 

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Perhaps this link will provide you with the answers you require: tax topic 152 please click the link below.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152

Thank you for your message. My question is/was that topic 152 has been removed and it went back to the “process” according to the website. Still do I need to take a look at above link? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies