Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nnejia

What does it mean when my amended return and net change are negative? Does that mean I will receive the refund, or I have to pay the amount?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JessicaG

What does it mean when my amended return and net change are negative? Does that mean I will receive the refund, or I have to pay the amount?

When you begin the amending process, you will notice that your estimated refund amount drops down to $0.  This does not mean that you are no longer eligible for the refund you were to have initially received from the IRS.  This is to help estimate how much more your may be eligible to receive, or how much you may be required to pay - in addition to the refund you have already received.

You should still receive your refund from the IRS.  If you see a negative amount, you will need to pay that amount to the IRS after you have received your refund.

However, it is recommended that you wait until after you have received your refund from the IRS to begin the amendment process.  This is because the IRS may make changes to your return to more accurately reflect your tax situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies