Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do if the IRS has no record of me ever filing even though they sent my return back to be signed, which I did and then sent it back to them 3 months ago?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

What do I do if the IRS has no record of me ever filing even though they sent my return back to be signed, which I did and then sent it back to them 3 months ago?

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

@ sekrubas-icloud- 

Are you due a Federal refund?   If so, you can look it up in the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool at the link below.

It might be good to know what information is showing there when you talk to the IRS agent, or if it finds no information.

https://www.irs.gov/wheres-my-refund

If you are due a refund, then when using the tool, use only the Federal refund amount shown on your Form 1040, Line 35a.   

You asked:  "What do I do if the IRS has no record of me ever filing...."

Or are you saying you already used the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool, and it couldn't find your information?   Is that what you mean when you said "IRS has no record..."?    Or did you get a second letter from the IRS where they explicitly said you didn't file?

This may be a case of the iRS taking 4 months or more to get to a mailed in return. so its possible that even if you call they'll have no record of it. Did you mail it using a tracking service.  From my experience this is a must for mailed returns. 

Your return is in limbo at the IRS office that sent you the letter telling you to sign.

As soon as they see the signed document your return can be transcribed.

@sekrubas-icloud- 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies