bsilverttt

What do I do if my return has been accepted, refund issued, but taxes on unemployment received were taken out but shouldn't have been?

Using TT Home and Business desktop. My refund has been issued, but now when I go into TurboTax for that return it's saying my refund should have been larger from IRS and CT, and it's probably because I received unemployment money last year and filed before the IRS said the first 10,200 of unemployment is not to be taxed. What do I do now??

bsilverttt

Thanks for the response.

1) I see the IRS will first process my refund filed before March 11, and at a later date deal with the change to how unemployment funds were taxed. 

2) The state links show for some reason that Connecticut (CT) has NOT been updated by Turbotax. However, I believe that is in error. Turbotax downloaded a new CT update yesterday and changed my refund, so I think CT has been changed for the unemployment issue.

I went the CT DRS site, and they say I can amend my 2020 return online. However I need to tell them which lines on the 1040 were changed, and to what new numbers. I'll need to wait until the IRS processes this change and hope that they show the changes to the 1040 form so I can put them on the CT website. This seems complicated, could this be what I need to do?