Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What can I do? The IRS website says that I need a letter or notice number to continue to verify my tax return but it’s 10 days past when I was supposed to get my return?

And I have not received a notice or letter from the IRS. Does anyone know what I should do next?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

What can I do? The IRS website says that I need a letter or notice number to continue to verify my tax return but it’s 10 days past when I was supposed to get my return?

The day when you were supposed to get your return is only an estimate based on average handling time and that there are no issues.   If there are issues then you need to work with IRS to resolve them in order for them to finish processing your return.

No, I fully understand that but that’s what I’m saying is is that the only issue that they’re saying I have is to verify my ID and my return but I can’t do that because they haven’t gave me a notice besides the one on the website which has no numbers on it Continue it says I want to get my full refund and 2 to 3 weeks that I have to finish. I verifying my ID so I verified my ID and the next section is to make sure your tax returns all correct when I go to that section, it won’t let me , go to the tax section correct because I don’t have this notice number that they’re asking for so my question was is do you know how to get that number? 

Mean I’m trying to work with them but for me to be able to verify my information it wants this number that’s on the notice or letter that I supposedly was supposed to receive from the IRS but I’ve never received a letter in the mail or anything I just got the notice on where is my refund page when I pull it up, if you want your refund in the next 2 to 3 weeks that you need to go verify your ID to verify my tax information website won’t let me go past this section unless I have the 14 digit code that came from the notice that I never received so I was wondering if you guys knew  Get notice or get that number from somebody here what I was supposed to do at this point because I’m kind of stuck. I can’t verify my information without it and I can’t proceed without it so I don’t really know what to do next. 

@mzack1488-gmail- On the notice you received, there should be a toll free phone number.  If you did not receive a notice and do not have any of the information requested or are unable to use this website - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-and-tax-return-verification-service

Then contact the IRS through their main number and speak with an agent -

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies