Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We received a letter from the state saying we owed money from 2020 but our filing on Turbo Tax Deluxe showed we neither owed or were due any money. What are my options

This was from an amended tax in 2020. There was a problem and the paperwork for the amended portion was never sent to state; our issue, but since our paperwork done on the site said we didn’t owe what are the options if they still say we do.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

We received a letter from the state saying we owed money from 2020 but our filing on Turbo Tax Deluxe showed we neither owed or were due any money. What are my options

What did the original return say?  Was it zero or did you owe?  If the amended return (that you didn’t file) shows 0 or a Refund you still have to pay the first tax due.    The Amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  

since you never filed the amended return, most likely the original return showed a balance due that you never paid. You may need the help of a pro. Generally, (state laws can vary), an amended return must be filed within 3 years of the original.  Failure to file timely may entitle the state to collect the balance due on the original and your amended return that was never filed is of no value. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies