W2 Wrong Address for Previous yrs (2014)

Hi all,

I have got NY Tax Assessment for the year 2014 after 6 yrs i filed for tax returns, They are asking me to pay NY state taxes but i was working in Illinois. My W2 has New York address as I was using for mailing purpose. I paid taxes to IL State.  Is there a way i can correct my w2 with correct address not mentioning New york.  What would be my next steps? I have not worked in New york in the year 2014 . My W2 only mentions IL taxes and does not have any NY taxes.

Thanks

Prady

Right back and tell them you did not live there or have an residence ... that you only used the NY address for mailing purposes and why.   Support your position with anything you can to prove your statement. 

Thanks for your response. I do have Apartment lease docs , Bank Statement and a letter from my employer. Will these docs enough to solve this problem. Its hard to find documents from 2014 . Let me know what else i need to show.

Thanks

Prady