Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W-2 Local Income Tax Filing

Do the local income tax (i.e. county income taxes withheld) reported on a W-2 need a separate local 1040 filing/return or are they simply covered (included) by the state 1040 return with the respective schedule forms?

If the latter, do I need to include both of my W-2 State and City/Local Filing Copies when I mail in my state tax 1040 return or will the State copy suffice?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What state are you in, and what county? Every state has different rules.

Hello - is a NR (IL is resident state).

Worked out of state and state and local income taxes withheld for Indiana.

-St. Joseph County is the county.

TT accounted for the state/county filing on the NR state form and schedules for Indiana.

I was curious if there are any separate forms to file and mail to their county.  I think TT Indiana State filing handles both.

I wanted to mail the tax forms, but it doesn't specify if I have to enclose two W2 copies (i.e. one for the state W-2 copy and one for the city/local W-2 copy) or just one (i.e. state W2 copy).

Thanks!

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

The Indiana state return will include your local (county) income tax. You don't need to file a separate form for the local tax. The county tax will be on Line 9 of your Form IT-40PNR. See here for information about Indiana forms.

If a person resides in an Indiana county on Jan. 1, or resides out-of-state on Jan. 1, but has his or her principal place of work or business in an Indiana county as of Jan. 1, he or she is subject to county (income) tax at the rate corresponding to that Indiana county. See this Indiana DOR document for details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies