turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Updated my wife's SSN she got in 2021 for 2020 amended tax and it says I owe tax now also she is qualified for $1800 stimulus check. Why do I owe tax when just SSN update

My wife got her SSN in 2021, so I did the 2020 amended tax return to update her SSN for the 2020 return. Along the way, it says we are qualified for her stimulus check portion of $1800. But at the same time, it says we owe $418 on federal tax. I didn't change anything other than her SSN. Nothing else was touched at all.  Why do I owe that amount and if IRS owes us the $1800 stimulus check, why wouldn't it deduct from that? I'm so confused. How do I correct this issue and able to file the 2020 amended tax return so we can get her portion of the stimulus check?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Updated my wife's SSN she got in 2021 for 2020 amended tax and it says I owe tax now also she is qualified for $1800 stimulus check. Why do I owe tax when just SSN update

You are not allowed to go back and amend any return to switch from an ITIN to a SS# after you filed to get any extra credits or benefits including the stimulus credit if the SS# was issued after filing.  Sadly the program will allow it however the IRS will not if you try to file it. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You are not allowed to go back and amend any return to switch from an ITIN to a SS# after you filed to get any extra credits or benefits including the stimulus credit if the SS# was issued after filing.  Sadly the program will allow it however the IRS will not if you try to file it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies