Lcg556

Unemployment tax refund

Hello,

I know the IRS is extremely backlogged, but, it’s now October 2021 and I haven’t received my unemployment refund. I know I am eligible and I’ve been checking my transcript daily for any changes and have called several times just to wait on hold and get hung up on.  I’m afraid that it may have been overlooked. How should I go about checking on this issue?

Thanks,

lcg556

GeorgeDenseff

Unemployment tax refund

Go go TurboTax and amend your 2020 return.  Do not print or mail it.  Just amend to get the amount that you will  receive for the unemployment tax forgiveness.

If you do have an amount coming to you, then just check the status of the refund every week or so.  The last I heard from an IRS worker is that they are trying to have all of those refunds done by December 9.

Lcg556

Unemployment tax refund

Hi George,

Thank you for getting back to me! I actually did have to amend my return because my state of CT required it when the Rescue Plan was passed. I printed both my federal and state paperwork although I just mailed out my state and kept my federal for my own records. That’s how I know that I am due a refund. So, thank you again for the advice and will remain patient through Dec.! Hope you are well and safe!

Laura