Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment: Amended Return

Hello, 

I am amending my return re:  increased Unemployment benefits (see original email at bottom of page). 

When I go to amend my return, the system did not prompt any specific questions regarding unemployment.  In fact, the bar that shows your estimated return is lower than my original return.  For example, it states: 

Federal Return (amending 2020):  "X amount of dollars" (lower than my previous federal return):  

1. Does that mean the "X amount of dollars" is money I am owed in addition to what I have already received as a refund?  

2. Is there a section in the system I need to navigate to in order to specify the reason I am filing an amended return? 

Thank you so much for any help you can provide! 

Original Email: 

Dear IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax Customer,

We are following up on our earlier email regarding the increased Unemployment benefits. Great news! In addition to the unemployment benefits, you may now be eligible for additional deductions, credits or benefits on your 2020 Federal return.

Unemployment Income: Based on the recently passed American Rescue Plan, the first $10,200 of your unemployment income may now be tax-free. Since you filed before this law was in place, you could be owed an additional payment from the IRS.

Additional Deductions and Credits: Now that some of your unemployment income is tax free, your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) may be lower. This means that you could now be eligible for additional deductions and credits.

In order to claim these additional deductions and credits, you will need to file an amended federal tax return. However, you do not need to file an amended state return at this time.

Amending is easy, and we are here to help. Simply log in to your account and select "Amend using TurboTax," and we'll guide you through it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Unemployment: Amended Return

Hello, 

Thank you so much for your response - I understand that the IRS is recalculating taxes.  However, the email I received states that this refund will not be automatic, and that I have to file an amendment.  I originally received an email that stated it would be automatic, but the newest email I received reads:  

"In order to claim these additional deductions and credits, you will need to file an amended federal tax return. However, you do not need to file an amended state return at this time."

I just to know if the new refund number that is being calculated via the TurboTax system is in addition to the refund I already received, since it is a lower amount than my original refund.

See photo - the number that follows this on the status bar is lower than the refund I already receiv...

I am only interested in a federal refund as it states an amended state return is not recommended. 

Thanks! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies