Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Unemployment amended fee

2 Replies
Level 15

Unemployment amended fee

You generally do not need to amend for Federal.


However, taxpayers would have to file an amended return if they did not originally claim the EITC or other credits, but now are eligible because the [unemployment comp] exclusion changed their income.  These taxpayers may want to review their state tax returns as well.

IRS to recalculate taxes on unemployment benefits; refunds to start in May | Internal Revenue Servic...


See these re State:

How is my state taxing unemployment income? (

Do I need to amend my state return to update my un... (

Expert Alumni

Unemployment amended fee

If you are asking if there is any additional charge for amending the tax return, the answer would be No.  There is no charge for amendment.  


If you have already filed, you do not need to amend.  The IRS will re-calculate your taxes and send you the refund.  For details from the IRS, click here:  No amendment


Per IRS, "There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return."



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings