Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

long-shot
Returning Member

Turbo Tax Refund for Military

I am no longer on active duty, but the income I filed taxes on was from my w-2 while active duty and I did not get a discount when I filed. Is there any chance I can get a refund after separating from the military and having already paid the ~$140 for federal and state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

In proud support of your service and sacrifice, enlisted active military and reservists can file both their federal and state taxes for FREE using any of our TurboTax Online products, which include Free, Deluxe, and Premium.   Not valid for TurboTax Live or TurboTax Desktop products.

Did you enter a w-2 from DFAS and enter your rank as E1 - E9?   If you used TurboTax Online, you can contact support to see about being credited what you paid if your discount did not appear at checkout.   Contact Support -  Thank you for your service!!  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
long-shot
Returning Member

I was not asked to enter my rank I assume because I am no longer active duty. I was wondering if the discount also applied to the 2023 calendar year.

I will try to contact support, thank you.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes.  Likely you answered that you were "Former/Retired/Veteran" military and you would not get the questions that would trigger the discount.  With an active duty military W2, you should answer in the "My Info" section that you were "Active Duty" in 2023.  

Then you will be able to select "I left the military in 2023" and still get the military pay grade questions that trigger the discount. You will also put in state you were assigned to in 2023 and select PCS as the reason.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies