Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax no longer supports 1099-R?

My e-file today was rejected by Turbotax because they no longer support the 1099-R form - I have spoken with support, and she confirmed that the 1099-R was indeed no longer supported in e-file by Intuit TurboTax. IRS help support Publication 1345 states "Authorized IRS e-file Providers are prohibited from submitting electronic returns to the IRS prior to the receipt of all Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R from the taxpayer." I "HAVE" received my forms- Yet turbotax simply chose to no longer support retiree tax submissions except to mail it in. This tax return is essentially identical to every submission since I retired. It can take weeks and weeks for us retirees living overseas. Why has the form been banned or no longer supported for e-filing, I've used intuit's product since 2008 or before?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

You are misunderstanding something.   You can enter a 1099R into this software and e-file a return.

To enter your retirement income, Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

If you are having problems with e-filing, you might be waiting for some other form.

Click Review to see if you are missing some forms needed in order to e-file.

Many federal and state forms are not yet available.  Check here for form availability. The dates are subject to change.

Tax form availability tool,

The IRS will begin to accept/reject 2023 e-files on January 29.   And….a state return cannot be accepted until after the IRS accepts your federal return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for taking time to reply. I have used TurboTax since the early 2000's without problems. When I filed the completed form, the forms are correct, including my 1099-R. I have been retired overseas for 5+ years without a Turbotax issue. This year, today, opening day, the error returned that "I was using forms not supported to e-file". I have called and spoken to support. She said this year while forms W2, and W2-G are supported. the 1099_R for is not a supported e-file document. It has never been an issue - I suspect someone misread the IRS Publication and incorrectly felt they had to exclude it. It is telling me to mail the Return - It can take weeks to get through Customs these days with a simple letter - let along a Tax Return - I am trying to see "why" the 1099-R is suddenly an "Unsupported" and hence, a rejected e-file form. It is an incredibly common form. I am hoping it is a very Bad mistake and will be corrected.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Because we normally find that Form 1099-R is valid for e-filing, it would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2023" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, please follow these instructions: 

Open your return, go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number and tag (@) the agent requesting the token from you. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see the same experience you are having. If we are able to determine the cause, we'll reply here and provide you with a resolution.

@Imthefireguy  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

And....have you tried clicking "Review" to see if it is really some other form that is the problem?

Click Review to see if you are missing some forms needed in order to e-file.

Many federal and state forms are not yet available.  Check here for form availability. The dates are subject to change.

Tax form availability tool,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you again for the reply, I know it takes time out of you day. I have reviewed it as you mentioned several times. I also had support on the phone for almost 2 hours checking remotely - they were the ones saying that on their list of "Forms Supported", it had "Not Supported for e-file" next to it. Despite this, she tried for nearly 2 hours while also talking to tech support in her coding section. I can only  'Hope" that this is simply a matter of the first days for filing electronically, and an update has not been issued in a timely manner. Fingers crossed.

Thank you again for the reply, I know it takes time out of your day. I have reviewed it as you mentioned. I also had support on the phone for almost 2 hours checking remotely - they were the ones saying that on their list of "Forms Supported", it had "Not Supported for e-file" next to it. I will follow your advice and hope it is an untimely update. Thank you again.

Thank you again for the advice of:

Open your return, go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number and tag (@) the agent requesting the token from you. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information. 

As I click 'tool" on the information black bar - none of those options are available. I am running Turbotax Deluxe. Perhaps this is avail in higher editions.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax for Desktop, go to Online in the top menu, then choose "Send Tax File to Agent."

This has been completed - do I send the token to you?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, please post the token in this thread.

Token Number 1167990

Thank you for your attention.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

We'll post our findings to this thread when our investigation is completed.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

When was the last time you attempted to e-file this return? We are aware of some issues at the IRS early on Monday 1/29, probably due to this being the first day to process returns.

If possible, please submit the return again tomorrow. If it isn't accepted, provide the exact message you receive. A screenshot would be helpful. 

Note that we found no apparent errors or issues in the diagnostic copy you provided.

I used the "Tax Form Availability" link - thank you so much for going the extra mile to help - I cannot find the 1099_R, although "that" is a worksheet in the forms, and is simply a declaration of taxable income fill in the blanks on the 1049 and take it step by step. Not sure where to go - I have sent the forms for review and the token - We shall see...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies