Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sparkieinparadise
Returning Member

Turbo Tax Filing Error Including Amended Return

RE TT 2021 Desktop Home and Business

1. I filed my Federal return using TT but had not filed my State yet.  I owed on both.
  2. I discovered a missed deduction so I corrected it.
  3. Now it says I'm due a refund for both Fed and State (assuming the original tax due was paid.)  
  4. I understand, but I hadn't filed the State return yet!
  5. So I went ahead and filed the State return.  It still shows a refund due but I still owe the original tax!
  6. Is TT and the State smart enough to actually collect the State tax due today?  I'm worried about a late penalty that I don't deserve.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
sparkieinparadise
Returning Member

9 hours later my State return was rejected, as I suspected.  Thanks Turbo Tax!  I followed your instructions and look where it got me. :(

sparkieinparadise
Returning Member

There seems to be no way to override the ammended return checkbox on the info sheet so I guess I'll have to mail the return printed and adjusted manually.  TT is just NOT setup to file an original (first) State return when you have already ammended your federal return.  :(  Never again!

sparkieinparadise
Returning Member

I finally figured out how to edit my State tax return but TT still has errors when you are ready to file your return.  The page "E-file Your Federal Return for FREE" is misleading.  I already filed my Fed return and wanted to file my STATE return.  But the only way to get to the STATE E-file selection was to say yes to E-file my Federal return and then unselected it on the next page!  Come on TT, you can do better than that.  Been using you for decades!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies