Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

whamza

Trying to Amend my 2022 New York State Tax AGAIN

Hi
I amended both Federal and NYS returns last year. I want to make a correction to the NYS only return. I went through the process until the end (everything looked perfect) but at the very end it does not allow me to do anything because the status of the return is showing "Filed"

How can I fix that? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Make sure you are following these guidelines for creating your amendment.

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted, you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
whamza

Thanks for trying to help! These are the general instructions and I followed them until the end. When I reach the moment to file, it shows that both Federal and State are already filed and I cannot proceed further

Wael

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I assume this will give those same instructions, How do I amend my state tax return? - TurboTax Support - Intuit

Can you get to a point where you can print the amendment? You won't be able to E-file.

whamza

Yes I can get all the way to that but then it does not allow me to print anything and it shows that it is already filed. I have been trying to get help from the customer service as well and we just hit the wall twice. I think this is an issue with the online system. 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

You can amend your New York State income tax return by filing a paper form and mailing it in.

Per New York State's instructions for amending a tax return:

• Complete your amended return as if you are filing the return for the first time.
  • Submit all the forms relevant to the information in your amended return (even if you already submitted these forms with your original return), such as: forms for any credits you are claiming or amending,
  • forms you submitted as attachments to your original return that are still applicable (for example, IT-196, IT-227, IT-558, IT-201-ATT, or IT-203-ATT), and all your wage and tax statements, such as Form IT-2.
  • Do not submit a copy of your original Form IT-201, IT-203, or IT-195.

Please click here for a link to the Form.

Please click here for the instructions to Form IT-201-X.

Please click here for additional instructions from New York State for Form IT-201-X..

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies