Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to amend and e-file 2022 return with correct your signature date error

I am trying to amend and e-file my 2022 taxes (Fed & 2 states) which were originally e-filed using the TurboTax desktop (downloaded) TY2022 version on Windows. Like others, I’m encountering the invalid “Correct Your Signature Date” issue. Manually filing requires lots of paper, postage, and incurs significantly more delay in processing by the IRS. I’m seeking help with a couple questions.  

My questions first and added details below.

1. If IRS accepts e-filed amendments, who is explicitly stating or prohibiting an individual from e-filing an amended return? I don’t see anywhere on the IRS site.
  2. Or is this a decision dictated by TT and product limitations? Hey TT Developers - please simply adjust the accepted Signature Date range.
  3. If I were to employ TT assistance or pay TT to do my amendment, could the TT tax assistant e-file my amendment?
  4. Could I e-file my amended return if I were using TT’s online version instead of desktop?  

I have read through a number of the questions, answers, and comments regarding amending a tax return and the invalid “Correct Your Signature Date” problem. I see some answers including one from @ManjManya indicate only paid professionals can e-file amendment. I don’t see anything on the IRS website confirming this. Rather, the IRS site (File an amended return | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)) site states:

To amend a return, file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You can use tax software to electronically file your 1040-X online.

Submit all the same forms and schedules as you did when you filed your original Form 1040 even if you don't have adjustments on them. Clicking on Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return leads to this information:

• You can now file Form 1040-X electronically with tax filing software to amend your Form 1040, 1040-SR, or 1040-NR for the current or two prior tax periods.
  • Paper filing is still an option for Form 1040-X.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If amending for tax years 2022 and prior, you need to print and mail your amended return. 

Follow these instructions to amend a prior-year return.

Note: For amendments before tax year 2021, you must mail a paper return. While the Internal Revenue Service and your state may accept e-filed amended returns, 

TurboTax may still have you mail a paper return. This includes amended California returns.

Three weeks after mailing your amendment, you can start tracking it at Where's My Amended Return? on IRS.gov.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the guidance. Can anyone tell me who is mandating an amendment for TY2022 must be printed and mailed? I suspect it's the TT software as I can't find anything on the IRS website. 

Sad to ask, but since I've been e-filing with TT for so long, I could also use guidance on how to change from e-file amendment to print/mail. Anything special I need to do to print everything necessary? And what physical copies of forms besides the ones TT prints will be required? (Fed, IL, MO)??

Thx - JV

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If amending using TurboTax, for tax years 2022 and prior, you need to print and mail your amended return. Follow these instructions to amend a prior-year return.

Note: For amendments before tax year 2021, you must mail a paper return. While the Internal Revenue Service and your state may accept e-filed amended returns, TurboTax may still have you mail a paper return. This includes amended California returns.

IRS Guidelines for Amending

How to Switch from E-file to Print and Mail TurboTax

The forms will indicate which ones are for your records.

For anyone looking for a straight answer to e-filing an amendment in TT DESKTOP and to the "Correct Your Signature Date" error (in which TT does not accept the current date for e-filing an amendment):  TT *may* let you e-file an amended 2023 return, but they won't allow e-filing for 2022 and prior years on Desktop version. This is the case even though the IRS does accept e-filing or amendments for the current and 2 prior years. IRS says: "You can use tax software to electronically file your 1040-X online."  They don't say that this applies only to "professional tax preparers" or some other nonsense you read in the replies from experts in this forum. If you are using Desktop, TT only allows amending within the same tax year before the extension deadline when their e-file connection to the IRS for that year is open anyway.  Not only this, but some states REQUIRE e-filing and by law do not allow TT to charge for it once you've paid for the software. From NYS Dept of Taxation and Finance:

New York State requires this income tax return to be filed electronically.
New York State law requires income tax returns prepared using software to be e-filed. Because this New York State tax return was prepared using software, you MUST file it electronically.
Besides being the law, e-filing has many advantages:
• Taxpayers using e-file get their New York State refunds twice as fast as paper filers.
• E-filing is fast, easy, and secure.
• There are no additional costs for e-filing. Once you’ve paid for your New York State tax preparation software, you’re entitled to FREE e-filing of your New York State return.

Intuit works around these kind of state mandates by simply restricting the allowable signature date. Why does TT still not allow e-filing of amendments on Desktop after the tax deadline? IMO it's bec it would increase their costs to update prior versions of the software and, mo$t importantly, they want you to move to the online version, which costs more and where amending is (apparently) possible after the tax deadline.  

Thanks @Your username must be at least t for the detailed response in explaining why TT operates the way it does. 

I wonder if:

1. There is any other desktop tax software out there this is more consumer friendly and does allow customers to e-file amendments beyond the 1 -year limit that the IRS allows? 
  2. Might anyone know if we had originally filed via TT's online/cloud version if we could e-file an amendment for TY2022?
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If amending for tax years 2022 and prior, you need to print and mail your amended return. Follow these instructions to amend a prior-year return.

Can I E-file My Amended Return

Amending Your Return

The IRS system typically allows you to e-file amended  returns for the current tax year and the two prior tax years. Amended returns for year prior to this time period cannot be e-filed. You will need to file these amended returns for older year by printing and sending them in by mail.

Not all tax software providers support electronically filing amended returns for other than the current year. If not then you will need to file your amended on paper and mail it to the IRS.

@johnvalentine2 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies