turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

achu25

Trying to amend 2021 return

Hi, my husband just discovered a 1099 he received last year, so we need to amend that return. I am following the directions, but at the end when TurboTax lets me preview the forms, I see that it's not an amended return, but rather an updated original return. For example, I know that there's supposed to be a 502X, at least for the state, but I'm just seeing a 502. Then I realized that the "refund monitor" never zeroed out like it's supposed to, even though TurboTax "acknowledged" I was amending the return. Any suggestions? I'm afraid I may have to resort to doing the whole thing manually!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Trying to amend 2021 return

Print two copies of your revised and presumably correct tax return.

Upon comparing that to your original return, it is a simple matter to get Form 1040-X in fillable PDF and complete it yourself.

---

When mailing 1040-X (as you must for 2021),

do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Include any new/corrected document only if it shows federal tax withheld, and include in order only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment.
Attachment Sequence Number is on all the forms and Schedules that come after 1040.
If any forms specify an attachment, put all those attachments at the end in the same order as the forms they go with.

---
If you are using TurboTax you have to do this by visual comparison. The program won't break out those pages for you.
----
Mail to the address shown for your location in the most recent Instructions for Form 1040-X.

@achu25 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies