turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to amend 2019 return but Turbo Tax added federal tax on Treasury interest before I make any changes.

I want to correct some expenses in my 2019 return, which should not change my tax liability in 2019. But once I started my amendment. TurboTax automatically added several hundred dollars of taxes to my federal tax (It should be $0). I haven't make any changes yet.

Upon inspection. It is double counting my 1099-INT income from my Treasury Direct account as a correction. The amount is already included in my initial 2019 return. I already paid federal tax for it. There is no more updates for TurboTax 2019. I experimented with removing the 1099-INT but it resulted in CA tax refund. Which, once again, is wrong since Treasury interest is exempt from state income tax (also, I am not supposed to remove an 1099-INT). What can I do besides manually overriding the 1040-X form? Which is pretty much the only form that I need to add for amended.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Trying to amend 2019 return but Turbo Tax added federal tax on Treasury interest before I make any changes.

It is too late to change a 2019 return.   3 years has passed.

You probably can't update the 2019 program.  Did you still have it installed from 2020?  You can't install or update 2019 anymore at all.  It is unsupported.  They only support the last 3 years.  You would have to do the amended return by hand.  Here's one

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040x--2020.pdf 

3 years applies to claiming a refund which I am not.

I don't think I ran 2019 TurboTax after 2021. But when I run it recently, it went and downloaded an update. I don't know if it downloaded a buggy version or not. But here I am.

I was also able to update TurboTax 2020.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

As @VolvoGirl  explained above, you will have to file a paper tax return to amend for the tax year 2019. The  TurboTax program is no longer supported for 2019.  The deadline to file an amended tax return for 2019 has passed.  

You can find details on when to file an amended return here.

There are very limited special circumstances laid out by the IRS for which you can file an amended return after the deadline.

The statute of limitations has passed for the IRS to audit your 2019 tax return, unless there were substantial inaccuracies on your tax return.

You stated that no additional tax is due. In general, if you have no additional taxes due, you do not have to file an amended return.

If you wish to file a paper return Form 1040-X for 2019, click here for the Form.

Click here for "Should I File an Amended Tax Return?" The IRS has an interactive tool to help you determine whether to file an amended tax return.

Click here for information on amended tax returns.

Click here for additional information on amended tax returns.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I wanted to amend 2019 to capture add missing expenses which I can carry over to the subsequent years. From what I read, I can still amend. But given the ordeals I experienced with TurboTax 2019, I will just skip the 2019 amendment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies