Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This was the first time I used TurboTax and am very disappointed and angry. They calculated my medical expense deduction incorrectly (10% AGI), not 7.5 %. I now have to amend my taxes! Anyone else hav

Did anyone else have this problem?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

This was the first time I used TurboTax and am very disappointed and angry. They calculated my medical expense deduction incorrectly (10% AGI), not 7.5 %. I now have to amend my taxes! Anyone else hav

Only your total medical expenses that are greater than 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) can be deducted on a 2019 Schedule A using the TurboTax software for 2019.

Look at your schedule A. 

Total Medical Expenses shown on Line 1. 

Your Adjusted Gross Income is shown on Line 2. 

Line 2 is multiplied by 7.5%  and shown on Line 3. 

Line 4 is Line 1 minus Line 3. 

Line 4 is your deductible medical expenses

Exactly! My itemized deductions are over $27k, yet they claimed the standard deduction of  $24.4 on my return.  The difference was the medical expenses, which when calculated at 7.5% of AGI and not 10% of AGI allow to use itemized deductions to reduce taxable income.

@jasper0531 wrote:

Exactly! My itemized deductions are over $27k, yet they claimed the standard deduction of  $24.4 on my return.  The difference was the medical expenses, which when calculated at 7.5% of AGI and not 10% of AGI allow to use itemized deductions to reduce taxable income.

Do you have a copy of the Schedule A that is included with your tax return?  That is the only way to determine if the issue is with the itemized deductions.

I can show you the TurboTax Schedule A and the IRS Schedule A where both show 7.5% of AGI.  But without your copy, there is no way to determine where the problem lies, if any.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies