t-obermeyer

They sent me too much money. How to resolve?

bluedeb

The IRS will send you a letter explaining the change in your refund amount.  You might want to wait for the explanation before you spend any of the refund.  You can also call the IRS for more information

The following will help you get to a real person with the IRS:

The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.

- The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
- Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
- Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
- Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
-Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
- When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
-After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
-Finally, press 2 for personal or individual tax questions. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

bluedeb

Your welcome! Hopefully you will get to talk to someone.

Who sent too much?
t-obermeyer

The irs
bluedeb

t-obermeyer

Thank you so much!  I had tried calling.  I will try again using your directions to navigate the phone menus maze.
t-obermeyer

bluedeb