Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The W2 that my company sent me didn't show the correct salaries amount for 2018, what do I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The W2 that my company sent me didn't show the correct salaries amount for 2018, what do I do?

There is nothing you can do to get your return back. When you efile it, it is just like dropping it in the mail box. The IRS will begin pulling returns from the TurboTax servers on Jan. 28. If your return is rejected after the IRS receives it, you can enter the corrected W-2 and fix the reason for rejection and resubmit it.

If your return is accepted by the IRS, you must wait until they process your return and send you the refund, if you are getting one. You can then begin to prepare, print, sign and mail an amended return form 1040X to enter the corrected W-2. The 1040X may not be available until March in TurboTax. It must be printed and mailed. It cannot be efiled. It takes the IRS around 16 weeks to process an amended return.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Contact your employer to get a corrected W-2

They are getting a corrected one for me,  when I receive it what do I do?

Have you already filed the 2018 tax return?

Yes I have,  yesterday afternoon,  that's why I am contacting you so quickly.

There is nothing you can do to get your return back. When you efile it, it is just like dropping it in the mail box. The IRS will begin pulling returns from the TurboTax servers on Jan. 28. If your return is rejected after the IRS receives it, you can enter the corrected W-2 and fix the reason for rejection and resubmit it.

If your return is accepted by the IRS, you must wait until they process your return and send you the refund, if you are getting one. You can then begin to prepare, print, sign and mail an amended return form 1040X to enter the corrected W-2. The 1040X may not be available until March in TurboTax. It must be printed and mailed. It cannot be efiled. It takes the IRS around 16 weeks to process an amended return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies