turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim a $9000 loan from my mom as income?

My dad unexpectedly passed away and I lost my job. My mom didn't know how to do anything and couldn't be alone. I helped all summer and did work for her that my dad did and helped take car when she had surgery. She gave me a check for  $9000 to help me and my family and I would like to add it to the income somehow so I can get more back. I'm not in a great financial situation.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

The IRS would view this transaction as either a gift or a loan, not as income. If you have no intentions of paying it back it would be considered a gift. Either way, the IRS does not allow a taxpayer to arbitrarily include a loan or gift as income on their tax return. The IRS allows a person to gift another person up to $14,000 in 2016 without requiring that a gift tax return be prepared.

You said above that adding this $9,000 would get you more back.  It works just the opposite, if you receive $9,000 and their is no tax withheld from that $9,000, the IRS hits you with a tax as does the state you live in, if it is a state that has an income tax.  Not only that, the IRS would look at the $9,000 that you earned doing things around your mother's home and also assess what's called self-employment tax which is another 15%. Anytime they see income that was not from an employer or financial institution, they assume it is for work done by the individual and asses a self-employment tax to cover social security and medicare. I wish I could advise you as far as a trick to use, but the facts are the facts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SeanE1

The IRS would view this transaction as either a gift or a loan, not as income. If you have no intentions of paying it back it would be considered a gift. Either way, the IRS does not allow a taxpayer to arbitrarily include a loan or gift as income on their tax return. The IRS allows a person to gift another person up to $14,000 in 2016 without requiring that a gift tax return be prepared.

You said above that adding this $9,000 would get you more back.  It works just the opposite, if you receive $9,000 and their is no tax withheld from that $9,000, the IRS hits you with a tax as does the state you live in, if it is a state that has an income tax.  Not only that, the IRS would look at the $9,000 that you earned doing things around your mother's home and also assess what's called self-employment tax which is another 15%. Anytime they see income that was not from an employer or financial institution, they assume it is for work done by the individual and asses a self-employment tax to cover social security and medicare. I wish I could advise you as far as a trick to use, but the facts are the facts.

Thank you so much for your information. I really appreciate it very much.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies