Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

The IRS only paid me 2500 when I was due 9500.

2 Replies
Level 15

The IRS only paid me 2500 when I was due 9500.

Go to this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's -


Why is my refund different than the amount on the tax return I filed? 

All or part of your refund may have been used (offset) to pay off past-due federal tax, state income tax, state unemployment compensation debts, child support, spousal support, or other federal nontax debts, such as student loans. To find out if you may have an offset or if you have questions about an offset, contact the agency to which you owe the debt.

We also may have changed your refund amount because we made changes to your tax return. This may include corrections to any incorrect Recovery Rebate Credit amount. You’ll get a notice explaining the changesWhere’s My Refund? will reflect the reasons for the refund offset when it relates to a change in your tax return.

Tax Topic 203, Refund Offsets for Unpaid Child Support, Certain Federal and State Debts, and Unemplo... has more information about refund offsets.

Level 15

The IRS only paid me 2500 when I was due 9500.

in 2-3 weeks (maybe longer because the IRS is way behind in processing documents) you should receive a letter from the IRS explaining the difference.  sometimes the IRS is wrong and the letter will contain instructions of what to do in that case.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings