Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS claims we did not file in 2008 but since it was so long ago we no longer have records I have no proof and they claim they no longer either. What can I do?

We earned less than $28000 according to SSA and they have taken about $5000 in returns already. We filed bankruptcy in 2017 and were required to have all years filed when doing so. I am at a loss. The payments made to the IRS by the court were applied to 2014 & 2016. If we owed 2008 they should have been paid first. The recent letter from the IRS came in a version of my name never used for employment or taxes. We had an identity fraud case for someone filing taxes using my SS # in 2016 with that version of my name in another state but even that dept. could not help since there are no longer records to review.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The IRS claims we did not file in 2008 but since it was so long ago we no longer have records I have no proof and they claim they no longer either. What can I do?

Not sure how you think TurboTax can help.  TurboTax only saves returns prepared using the TT software for seven years.  After seven years they are gone.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The first step is to verify that the letter you have is actually from IRS.

It's unlikely IRS would contact you about 2008 unless there is an issue of fraud.

@justanotherbrat 

Contact the IRS to find out if the letter you received is even legitimate.

To  call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies