turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Was hoping to claim student loan interest but my payments were only being applied to principal. If I get them to amend the payment can I still claim them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Was hoping to claim student loan interest but my payments were only being applied to principal. If I get them to amend the payment can I still claim them?

That’s between you and the lender. You can only deduct interest you pay. Normally, I would think it is better to reduce your principal than to pay interest, since that more directly reduces your number of remaining payments.  However, if you can get the lender to change the treatment of your payments so that you are considered to pay interest, and issue you a 1098-E, then you could deduct the interest. 

Also be aware that if married filing separately, you can’t deduct student loan interest at all, and there is an income phase out between 65,000 and $90,000 of annual income.    So don’t go to the trouble of re-characterizing your payments if it will turn out that you can’t deduct the interest anyway. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

That’s between you and the lender. You can only deduct interest you pay. Normally, I would think it is better to reduce your principal than to pay interest, since that more directly reduces your number of remaining payments.  However, if you can get the lender to change the treatment of your payments so that you are considered to pay interest, and issue you a 1098-E, then you could deduct the interest. 

Also be aware that if married filing separately, you can’t deduct student loan interest at all, and there is an income phase out between 65,000 and $90,000 of annual income.    So don’t go to the trouble of re-characterizing your payments if it will turn out that you can’t deduct the interest anyway. 

Thanks for the reply! I'm still currently enrolled so I was just paying the interest on my unsubsidized loan before it is capitalized.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies