Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax returns for decedent and estate

Hi, I have to file a 1040 for my parent who passed away in 2023. I also need to file a 1041 for the income of the estate (there is a trust but the cash and stock assets were NOT transferred into it, so those items were distributed under a small estate affidavit -- but some interest/dividends were earned prior to distribution). I want to do DIY Premium or Live Assist for both. How do I set this up?

For the 1040:

- Do I set up a TurboTax account in the name of the decedent? Or should the TT account be in my name?

- How do I show the IRS that I have the authority to file? Do the trust and pour-over docs will have to be notarized again, do they have to be mailed in with the return?

- It appears 2021 and 2022 decedent 1040 returns were not filed by the decendent. Can I just file those under the same TurboTax account I set up for 2023?

For the 1041:

- TT shows that I must buy a business account and choose "For Estae or Trust." However, when I go to open the account, it asks me for a business name. There is no button or way to select "Trust or Estate". If I enter the name of my parent in the business name field, I get an error. Please make it clearer how to set up the account. Again, in my own anme or the decedents, and how to show it is for the estate?

- How do I show the IRS that I have the authority to file? Do the trust and pour-over docs will have to be notarized again, do they have to be mailed in with the return?

- If income is low enough that the 1041 is not required, will TurboTax show me that?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Sorry for the 1041 Estate return you can not use the Live Assisted or Full Service for Business returns.  You need to use the Desktop Business program and do it yourself.  

You need Turbo Tax Business.  It  is a separate program from Home & Business.  It is not available to do online or on a Mac.  And it will not do your personal 1040 return.

You can buy the Window's version here…..

TurboTax® Business Desktop 2023-2024 | Tax Software Download

Thank you. Please also advise on my other questions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies