jahyemyung81

Tax return amendment

Using Turbotax, I've filed how much I need to pay back to IRS and scheduled my payment on April 1st. However, during reviewing, I found my mistake and mailed my amendment to request some payment back using Turbotax. I am still waiting for IRS's confirmation regarding this amendment. On April 1st, should I pay the money I filed first and get the amended return later? Or should I pay the difference between the submitted payment and the amended return?

LisaBr

Tax return amendment

You need to go ahead and send your payment.  The IRS will not review your amendment until they have completed processing your tax return.  According to the IRS, they want amendments to be mailed after they finalize your original return and you receive your refund or your payment has processed

Amendments can take up to 14 weeks to be completed by the IRS.  Then you will receive a refund for the overpayment of taxes paid.

The following IRS link is very helpful in understanding the amendment process:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/amending-your-tax-return-ten-tips

LisaBr

Tax return amendment