Solved: Tax Return Amendment for 2020- Stimulus Question

sroutson

Tax Return Amendment for 2020- Stimulus Question

I am amending my tax return I filed for 2020. My original tax return was processed back in February. In the amendment it asks if I received the first stimulus payment of $1,200 and second payment of $600. Since I was claimed as a dependent the previous year(2019) I did not get these payments. In my original return for 2020 I answered the question as "no" for not getting any stimulus payments which is true. I did get credit for this on my original 2020 tax return. My question is- since I have received credit for these two stimulus check in my original tax return, do I still select "no" for getting the two stimulus payments or would I select "yes" since in the original return I have received the 'credit' for it within the tax return? Please help!

DMarkM1

No, on your amendment you would still select "NO". You want to keep everything in your amendment the same as the original except what you are actually amending.      

DMarkM1