Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fb241

Tax refund wait over a month now. They took the Amended owed money right away! lol

I filed April 13 for my initial refund.  Then I did an amended return filed on the 15th with tax money I had to pay for additional income.  The IRS took the $700 I owed within 3 days.  Been over a month now.  How long to get my refund amount on my original filing?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Tax refund wait over a month now. They took the Amended owed money right away! lol

First you should have NEVER filed the amended return before the original return had been fully processed.   Doing so can extend the processing time for the original return for months so don't send anything else and just   wait for the IRS to sort things out.  

Although the payment may have been debited from your account  I can assure you the amended return has not been processed yet and will not be until the original return is out of processing.  

Next review the 1040X carefully ... did you have the original refund listed on line 18 ? 

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. If you paid nothing already then this line should be zero.

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.  If you have not received your refund yet then you need to wait for it.  If the refund changes from what you expected then this line must reflect that change.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

fb241

16 is 0

18 is my refund amount 3000.  

20 is the amount I already paid them for the correction.  $700

21 blank

22 is 0

Should 21 or 22 be $2300. 3000-700

Months for the wait?

OMG

They say amended returns are 16 weeks.  Is that realistic for IRS to sort this out?

I did the amended return because I wanted to avoid an audit for the mistake.  Did I avoid an audit?  Cause you recommend I should have waited for my original refund.  I am now tending to agree with you.  I see you can amend up to three years.  Just curious about the audit process.

Thanks for the info.

@fb241 

Never send in a Form 1040-X that you don't understand.

If the form shows an "amount you owe" you should file it and pay, to reduce interest and late penalties.

There is no reason to wait.

@fb241 

If there is an amount you owe, lines 21-22 have to be zero.

Since nothing is coming back to you it doesn't matter how long IRS takes to process your amendment.

HOWEVER,

Don't be surprised it the IRS sends the $700 back to you. then sends you another bill for $700 months from now.

Again all you can do now is wait for the IRS to process your original return and then the amendment ... nothing you can do to speed things up.  

fb241

IRS should have owed me 2300.  

you will get the refund from the originally filed tax return.

Your 1040 and 1040-X are processed separately (in normal times).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies